As soon as the snow starts to melt, many people take that as a sign to start getting their house ready for spring. If you were bothered by cold drafts over the winter, if mold appeared around your openings, or if your doors and windows are getting stiff, maybe it’s time you consider replacing them!
There’s no doubt about it: Changing your doors and windows is a major investment, and there are a few things you need consider before you can make a clear decision. Once you’ve made up your mind, you’ll have to go to the store to choose your doors and windows. But how can you make sure you get exactly what you need?
The most important step is taking approximate measurements, so you can get an estimate of the costs. Don’t worry, it’s easy! Grap a tape measure and a pen and paper to jot down notes, and follow these steps to make sure you don’t encounter any nasty surprises down the line:
- Do you have a recent plan drawn up by a certified contractor? If so, then you don’t need to take any measurements. Bring the paper or electronic version for the representative to consult.
- No recent plan? Take the measurements yourself to avoid any hassles. For each opening, measure the:
- width: from left to right (horizontally);
- heigh: from top to bottom (vertically).
You can take these approximate measurements inside or outside, but whichever method you choose, let the representative know so they can adjust the specifications accordingly. A little word of advice, though, if you want to make your life easier, take the measurements from inside the house!
- If you take the measurements inside, remember that the frame is often covered by a molding, so measure from the outside edges of the moldings.
- If you take the measurements outside, the frame is clearly visible, so measure from siding to siding.
Another piece of advice: Always double-check your measurements. And once you’ve chosen your products, make sure a professional (either the manufacturer’s installation team or your own installer) pays you a house call to take the final measurements.
There are several other factors to consider when it comes to making the right decision: material, side and swing direction, colour, warranty, etc. Contact our team who will be pleased to guide you through the process. Need inspiration? Check out some of our stunning achievements!